What a week!

Somehow we made it though the first week of school but what a week it was.  I just don't know how parents send their diabetic child off to school to trust them in the care of strangers.  This is WAY harder than I ever thought it was going to be.

Here are the events of the rest of the week.  Wed went ok.  Thurs was the straw that broke the camels back!  I went to help the clinic aid check my son at 10am.  I got there about 9:40am to find the clinic door locked and her nowhere to be found.  Ok, maybe she's in the bathroom right next door, although there is on in the clinic but apparently she can't use that one????  I have no idea.  Nope, 10 min later, she comes down the hallway with some office goodies I guess she was looking for.  What would have happened if my son showed up and I was not there to help with the checks and she was not there either?  Now he would have been there with 2 other kids in the hallway probably playing around and not being supervised.  Then I think, what if he was low and there waiting with two kids.  AHHHHH.  You can make yourself nuts with this.  

Later my mom came to help check him before lunch and bolus him after.  Again, she got there early and she was in the clinic. My son comes down and at this point there are 6 other kids in the room she is attending to and asks my son to have a seat and everyone has to wait their turn.  UM WHAT?  I and the other diabetic momma have made it very clear that these boys are on timed schedules and when they come in they are top priority!  What is they are low when they get there?  So after a little time, my mom asks do you just want me to check him since my child was starving.  She of course says yes please and of course he was low!  So mom takes out a juice box, gives it to him, re-checks about 15 min later and all is good.  He ate some of his lunch there but then was sent off to finish his lunch.  The time was 12:20, 1 min past his lunch time.  Later my son tells us that he was rushed out of the lunch room and had to finish in the classroom.  WHAT????  That cannot happen!  And they keep throwing away his wrappers which I specifically have been trying to keep in his lunchbox because normally he will come back to be bolused and they have to see what he has eaten or not eaten.  This is definitely not working for me!

Later that evening before bed, Jayden looks at us and say he doesn't want to be diabetic anymore.  Why don't you just rip my heart out.  I said honey I wish I could change that but God made you special and unique.  His answer to that?  I don't want to be those either.  He has already picked up on the fact that he's so different from everyone in class and just wants to be normal.  So, Friday I was on a mission and sent a novel of an email to his principle telling him about the weeks events.  In the meantime, his teacher called me and asked if we were ok and that she has picked up on things not working well and after talking she and I were on the same page and she was determined to make this right and make it work better.  What a relief and a God sent she is!  I LOVE his teacher!  She said she was going to go down and talk to the principle and let him know what we discussed and that he and I needed to meet.  Also that I should be allowed to park in the front or in the teacher parking lot since I was reprimanded by the gate keeper on Friday!  
Yes, the gate keeper, who I later found out was the couch.  Great!  My son sees him 4 times a week.  I have walked him to class everyday this week as neither one of use felt comfortable with walking by himself.  As I get out of the car and walk up, I have this older man yelling to me, come Monday morning you need to drop him at the curb.  I said ok, really whatever dude is what I wanted to say, we will work on that and off I went to his classroom.  Then when I was walking back, I stopped to talk to one of the assistants to ask if she might be willing to be a backup for my son.  She said sure as she had a diabetic parent and did testing, etc.  In our conversation, I hear the gait nazi telling another parent who stopped to drop off he was heading up to the gate, in his golf cart, to lock it since he does that promptly at 8:45 when the bell rings.  I was like SERIOUSLY who is this guy!  So I fly down the road past him and his golf cart, really wanting to show him he was number 1 but I was nice, lol.

All those events just got me angry and prompted my novel of an email to the principle.  If I have to park everyday and walk him to class, so be it!  It will be an interesting meeting but I'm optimistic.  I have the support of my husband, family, friends, his nurses at the endocrinology office and a momma angel that was referred to my from his Dr's office who has been here and done this and now is an advocate for other families.  So I'm armed and ready to fight this battle to protect my son and give him the best life he can have!

Now, it's time to get ready for his birthday party at Monkey Joe's in a few hours.  Can't believe he will be 5 on 8/29.........




posted under |

1 comments:

Jary said...

Crying.... I really hope all works out. You are a strong woman and a great mom. Please let me know if i can be of any help. I can take on the coach for you, lol ;).

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

My photo
I'm a mother of 2 wonderful boys. My oldest who is 5 is a type 1 diabetic and was diagnosed 01/30/2009 at 2 1/2. My other son is almost 2 and has wheat and peanut allergies. So as you can see, my boys keep me on my toes. Thank goodness for my wonderful husband Jason, my family and friends who are very supportive.

Recent News

Jayden turns 5 today! Aug 29, 2011

Followers


Recent Comments